Monday, July 16, 2012

Popcorn, easy and healthy snack

After reading lots about the dangerous chemicals in microwave popcorn and never having much luck not burning it, I finally did a bit of research and learned how to properly pop some corn on the stove top.  Using a heavy bottom stainless steel pan, I make this great snack all the time for us.  I use about three tablespoons of coconut oil to give it great flavor.  I heat the oil with three kernels of corn in a covered pan until the three kernels pop, then I add about a half cup of organic popping corn.  I vent the lid a bit to let steam escape, but not the popcorn.  Trader Joe's sells organic popcorn for about $2 and the little bit of oil is inexpensive as well (I buy coconut oil at Whole Foods.) 

Instead of buying popcorn at the movies, I pop a batch at home and bring it in a big zip top bag.  Definitely cheaper than buying it at the movies!  We saw Puss in Boots last week at the Regal $1 movies and this snack was a hit with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas and feedback. Just be nice!